Guy Orval Anderson Jr. (1928-1981) and Fred Johnson
Architect Guy Anderson was born in El Centro, California on May 16, 1928. Awarded as valedictorian from Central Union High School in El Centro, Guy went on to secure his Bachelor’s of Architecture from Cal in 1953, the same year he was honored by Chi Alpha Kappa with their Annual Award for Upper Division Achievement in Architecture. The first in his family to earn a degree, Anderson's academic success was a point of pride for his entire family. His lifelong passion for photography started as early as high school and never left him.
Following work as a Job Captain for Tucker, Sadler & Bennett, a young Guy Anderson worked in William Rosser’s office. Following a stint as Senior Architectural Draftsman for the San Diego City Schools, Guy was a principal in the firm Johnson-Anderson (1959-62). Their offices were located at 2442 Fourth Avenue. Johnson-Anderson secured an Honor Award of Excellence from the San Diego Chapter of the AIA in 1960 for the Western Lumber Office Building in National City.
Four years after joining the local chapter of the AIA, in 1958 (he held his membership through 1971), Mr. Anderson formed Guy Anderson, Architect AIA (in 1962). According to his family, "He opened his studio (at 3705 South Cordoba Avenue, Spring Valley) to design custom homes. He saw that the area was going to grow and thought there would be a need for his services. Then the growth happened mainly through cookie cutter tract homes, much to his chagrin. I still think of a term he used to use - "one of those stucco jobs" - as a somewhat derogatory statement for an unimaginative building."
Mr. Anderson worked for Leonard Veitzer at his office in Lloyd Ruocco's The Design Center at 3625 Fifth Avenue. During his tenure here, Anderson worked on Veitzer's Lincoff Residence. In the later years of his career, he worked in Arthur Decker's office While the two families were close, it is not clear if Mr. Anderson professionally collaborated with Robert Des Lauriers's office on any projects. Guy Anderson died on September 8, 1981.
Frederick Arthur Johnson was born in Los Angeles on June 17, 1916. Mr. Johnson worked as the Los Angeles City College Staff Architect following graduation from the same institution in 1936. Johnson moved to San Diego (circa 1956) to become the Chief Draftsman for San Diego City Schools and working in R.J. Keeney’s office. Following the run of Johnson & Anderson (1959-62), he launched Fred A. Johnson & Assoc (1962-68). With Ronald Lee Munroe, this was followed by Johnson & Munroe (1968) located in a great office building at 2828 Fourth.
Partial List of Projects
Anderson, Guy Residence (1961)
Anderson, Robert Residence
Beauty Parlor (1958)
Bell Jr. High School (1968)
Casa Hardware & Lumber Co. (1968)
De Falco's Bakery (1961)
El Cajon City Hall and Council Chambers
Fire Dept. Headquarters (1970)
Fire Repair Facility (1968)
Florence Elementary School (1962)
Johnson Residence (1966)
Paradise Hills Fire Station (1960)
Parkway Pet Hospital (1960)
Private Residence (1957)
Schneider Apartments (1958)
School Remodel (1956)
Sequoia Towers Apartments (1964)
Sundvold, Mr. Glenn Residence (1963)
Weinberger Elementary School (1963)
Western Lumber Office Building (1960)