Donald Campbell (1894-?)
Campbell was born in Mankato, MN on January 26, 1894. He held positions in a variety of architects’ offices in Minneapolis and New York City between 1912-1926. He completed two years at the University of Minnesota in 1920.
The same year (1926) he married, he worked as Chief Draftsman and Office Manager for Hood, Godjey, and Fouilhoux. In 1936 he was hired as Project Manager for Harrison, Fouilhoux, and Abramovitz where he stayed through 1945. Campbell joined the AIA in 1944 while at this firm. In 1946 he joined in partnership with Los Angeles architect Sam Lunden, where he would remain prior to moving to San Diego in 1947.
In 1947 Campbell established his own firm ‘Donald Campbell, Architect AIA’ in San Diego. Soon thereafter (in 1948) he joined the San Diego Chamber of Commerce and remained an active member for many years.
Campbell was civically engaged. He served as the Director of the San Diego Aquarium Society (1952-1954); held the office of Chapter President for AIA San Diego in 1953; served as Trustee for the La Jolla Town Council (1953-1955); was appointed Delegate to the California Council of Architects (1953-1954); was a member of the San Diego ALA chapter; as well as his work as Chairman of ‘Comm. Civic Des’ (1954). Campbell volunteered for the San Diego Board of Appeals (1957-59) and taught City Reg. Plan, at University of California Extension (1959-60).
Partial List of San Diego Projects*
Burnett House, La Jolla (1950)
San Diego Zoo Administration Building (1954)
San Diego Zoo Restaurant (1954)
Mount Soledad Cross (1954)
Escondido County Br. Building (1954)
S.S. & Assembly Bldg (1954)
Union Congregational Church (1954)
Solar Aircraft, Faith Chapel (1955)
*One of his projects was published in Architectural Record West in 1955.