Architecture

Historically Designated Modern Buildings in San Diego County

Salomon Apartments. Photograph by Darren Bradley.

As you consider historically designating your own modern home; hoping to purchase a designated property; or buy a home and apply for its designation you can refer to the following list of homes and buildings that have secured historic designation.

By Keith York
Salomon Apartments. Photograph by Darren Bradley.
While the County and municipalities like San Diego and La Mesa publish their own lists, the following is intended to be a comprehensive gathering of known 20th century projects that have secured designation to date throughout San Diego County.

Andrusson, Mr. & Mrs. Uno Residence (1965)
Designed by Delawie & Macy. Located at 4726 Panorama Drive, University Heights.

Andrusson, Uno House. Photograph by Douglas Simmonds Jr.

Bascomb, Edward and Iris House (1954)
Designed by Sim Bruce Richards. Located at 887 Golden Park Avenue, Point Loma.

Bond House (1960)
Designed by Richard Neutra. Located at 4449 Yerba Santa Drive, College Area.

Bond House. Photograph by Julius Shulman. © J. Paul Getty Trust. Getty Research Institute, Los Angeles (2004.R.10)

Bronowski, Jacob and Rita Residence (1965)
Designed by Russell forester. Located at 9438 La Jolla Farms Road, La Jolla.

Brown, Michael and Clara House (1968)
Designed by Richard Lareau. Located at 5645 Taft, La Jolla.

Byerly, James and Doris House (1949)
Designed by Russell Forester. Located at 1949 Paseo Dorado, La Jolla.

Casady, Simon & Virginia House (1960)
Designed by Arthur Decker. Located at 10010 Shadow Road, Mt. Helix.

Case Study House 23A. Photograph by Julius Shulman. © J. Paul Getty Trust. Getty Research Institute, Los Angeles (2004.R.10)

Case Study House 23 – Triad House A (1960)
Designed by Killingsworth, Brady & Smith. Located at 2342 Rue De Anne, La Jolla.

Case Study House 23 – Triad House C (1960)
Designed by Killingsworth, Brady & Smith. Located at 2329 Rue De Anne, La Jolla.

Cole Residence (1952)
Designed by Lloyd Ruocco. Located at 5628 Nokomis Street, La Mesa.

Compton, Frank and Gloria House (1948)
Designed by John Lloyd Wright. Located at 7840 East Roseland Drive, La Jolla.

Conard-Arrington House (1949)
Designed by Roy Drew. Located at 809 San Antonio Place, Point Loma.

Cornelius House (1958)
Designed by Henry Hester. Located at 10385 Bonnie Lane, Mt. Helix.

Cory, Mitchel & Malvena House (1958-1960)
Designed by Hal Sadler. Located at 10364 Bonnie Lane, Mt. Helix.

Darley, Helen Ruth House (1948)
Designed by Russell Forester. Located at 7750 Ludington Place, La Jolla.

Delawie, Homer Residence II (1963)
Designed by Homer Delawie. Located at 1833 Neale Street, Mission Hills.

Delawie, Homer Residence III, The Village (1973)
Designed by Homer Delawie. Located at 2749 Azalea Drive, Point Loma.

Delawie House II. Photo by Douglas Simmonds Jr.

Del Prado Condominiums (1973)
Designed by William Krisel. Located at 666 Upas Street, Hillcrest.

The Design Center (1949-50)
Designed by Lloyd Ruocco. Located at 3601-3635 5th Avenue, Hillcrest.

Dirks, John & Ruth House & Studio (1945)
Designed by John Dirks. Located at 5120 Alzeda Drive, Mt. Helix.

Dixon, Dr. Frank House (1953)
Designed by David C. Tatman. Located at 2355 Avenida De La Playa, La Jolla.

Eales, Rodney House (1971-1983)
Designed by Sim Bruce Richards. Located at 391 Catalina Boulevard, Point Loma.

Eason, Fred S. Residence (1964)
Designed by Cliff May. Located at 4777 Avion Way, College Area.

El Pueblo Ribera (1923)
Designed by Rudolph Schindler. Located at 230–248 Gravilla Street, La Jolla.

Feller, Louis & Bertha House (1960-62)
Designed by Lloyd Ruocco & Homer Delawie. Located at 3377 Charles Street, Point Loma.

Ford Building (1935). Photograph by Julius Shulman. © J. Paul Getty Trust. Getty Research Institute, Los Angeles (2004.R.10)

Ford Building (1935)
Walter Dorwin Teague designed pavilion for the Ford Motor Company was open to visitors of the California Pacific International Exposition held in Balboa Park in 1935-36. Located in Pan American Plaza in Balboa Park.

Gleich, Martin and Enid House (1962)
Designed by Henry Hester. Located at 5120 Norris Street, College Area.

Goldzband, Dr. Mel House (1964)
Designed by Homer Delawie. Located at 4709 La Rueda, Mt. Helix.

Goodman, George and Iris House (1968)
Designed by Rex Lotery. Located at5330 Le Barron Road, College Area.

Guy, Marie Schumann-Heink & Hubert Residence
Designed by Richard Wheeler. Located at 5310 Valle Vista.

Herman, Edmund and Elsie House (1961)
Designed by Russell Forester. Located at 1262 Fleetridge Drive, Point Loma.

Hindman House (1962)
Designed by John Mock. Located at 105636 Snyder Road, Mt. Helix.

Hines House (1963)
Designed by John Mortenson. Located at 9701 Sierra Vista Avenue, Mt. Helix.

Holmgren House (1948)
Designed by Lloyd Ruocco. Located at 10037 Ward Lane, Mt. Helix.

Hope, Frank and Barbara Jr. House (1967)
Designed by Frank L. Hope Jr. Located at 3430 Bangor Place, Point Loma.

Hubbell, James Complex
Designed by James Hubbell. Located at 930 Orchard Run, Santa Ysabel.

Hufbauer, Clyde and Arabelle House (1952)
Designed by by Clyde Hufbauer. Located at 1821 Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla.

Jach, George & Mercille Residence (1962)
Designed by John Mortenson. Located at 10446 Russell Road, La Mesa

Jackson, David and Susan House (1964)
Designed by Ronald K. Davis. Located at 3455 Charles Street, Point Loma.

Jackson, Richard & Helen House (1949)
Designed by Lloyd Ruocco. Located at 4421 Mayapan Drive, Mt. Helix.

Jackson Johnson III House (1961)
Designed by Lloyd Ruocco & Homer Delawie. Located at 8272 El Paseo Grande, La Jolla.

Jones, Burton I. House (1942-49)
Also known as the Frank E. and Mae I. Bleecker, Residence, this project was designed by Lloyd Ruocco. Located at 9830 Edgelake Drive, Mt. Helix.

Keller, James Don & Rita H. House (1947)
Designed by Lloyd Ruocco. Located at 1433 Puterbaugh, Mission Hills.

Kunzel, Herbert House (1951)
Designed by Robert Mosher. Located at 3250 McCall Street, Point Loma.

La Jolla Recreation Center (1915)
This Irving Gill design was commissioned by Ellen Browning-Scripps. Located at 615 Prospect Street, La Jolla.

La Jolla Women’s Club (1914)
This clubhouse building was designed by Irving Gill. Located at 715 Silverado Street, La Jolla.

Lanthorne House by Homer Delawie. Photograph likely by Douglas Simmonds Jr.

Lanthorne, Russell and Rosemary House (1963)
Designed by Homer Delawie. Located at 7520 Mar Avenue, La Jolla.

Lard, Robert and Alma House (1965)
Designed by Homer Delawie and Lloyd Ruocco. Located at 2218 Vallecitos, La Jolla.

Lightner, John and Joan House (1969)
Designed by Roy Drew. Located at 420 Silvergate Avenue, Point Loma.

Lillie, T.W. House (1958)
Designed by Lloyd Ruocco. Located at 4410 Carmen Drive, Mt. Helix.

Mabee, John and Betty House (1963)
Designed by William Lumpkins. Located at 4545 Yerba Santa Drive, College Area.

Melville-Klauber House (1907-08)
This house designed by Irving Gill hosts several trademarks of the architect's later works. Located at 3060 Sixth Avenue, Hillcrest.

Mills, Mansfield and Katherine House (1957)
Designed by Dale Naegle. Located at 7105 Country Club Drive, La Jolla.

Montgomery Memorial - Silver Wing Monument by Lloyd Ruocco (1946)
This park honors John Joseph Montgomerywhose 1883 glider, flown at Otay Mesa, was the first successful flight of a heavier-than-air craft. The monument wing marks the event and symbolizes his continued flights in the region during 1884–1886. Located at Palm Avenue, Beyer Boulevard and Coronado Avenue.

Neece, Ruth Smith and Louise Duplex (1960)
Designed by Lloyd Ruocco & Homer Delawie. Located at 8015-8017 El Paseo Grande, La Jolla.

Nicol, Frank and Jean Residence (1982)
Designed by Sim Bruce Richards. Located at 15405 Pauma Valley Road, Pauma Valley.

Olney, Richard House (1954)
Designed by Sim Bruce Richards. Located at 1644 Crespo, La Jolla

Oxley House. Photograph by Julius Shulman. © J. Paul Getty Trust. Getty Research Institute, Los Angeles (2004.R.10)

Oxley House (1958)
Designed by Richard Neutra. Located at 9302 La Jolla Farms Road, La Jolla.

Park Garden Apartments Building (1960)
Designed by Lloyd Ruocco and Homer Delawie. Located at 1740 Upas Street, Hillcrest.

Park Prospect Condominiums (1964)
Designed by Russell Forester. Located at 800 Prospect, La Jolla.

Peterson, Robert O. House (1965)
Designed by Russell Forester. Located at 567 Gage Drive, Point Loma.

Rosenberg, Nate and Beverly House (1961)
Designed by William R. Stephenson. Located at 742 Armada Terrace, Point Loma.

Rubin, Norman and Toba House (1971)
Designed by Kahn, Kappe, and Lotery (1968-73). Located at 3950 La Cresta, Point Loma.

Salk Institute. Photograph by Julius Shulman © J. Paul Getty Trust. Getty Research Institute, Los Angeles (2004.R.10)

Salk Institute for Biological Studies (1965)
The only design in San Diego County by architect Louis Kahn. Located at 10010 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla.

Salomon, Colonel Irving Apartments (1959)
Designed by Henry Hester. 3200 6th Avenue, Hillcrest.

Salomon Apartments. Photograph by Darren Bradley.

Scripps, George. H. Memorial Biological Laboratory (1909)
Also known as the ‘Old Scripps Building’, this is the oldest oceanographic research building in continuous use in the United States, this Scripps Institution of Oceanography building dates back to the institution’s founding. Located at Scripps Institution of Oceanography, La Jolla.

Spicer, Raymond, Jr. and Avery House (1961)
Designed by Sim Bruce Richards. Located at 379 San Antonio Avenue, Point Loma.

Styles, Hugh B. and Zula B. House (1953)
Designed by Cliff May. Located at 8545 Chevy Chase Drive, La Mesa.

Ullman House designed by Hendrick and Mock Architects

Ullman, Dr. Milton House (1964)
Designed by Hendrick and Mock Architects. Located at 4786 Mount Helix Drive, Mt. Helix.

Urey, Dr. Harold C. & Frieda Daum House (1954)
Designed by Russell Forester. Located at 7890 Torrey Lane, La Jolla.

U.S. Post Office Facility (1972)
This brutalist design by Deems Lewis won an AIA Award of Merit from the AIA San Diego Chapter. Located at 2535 Midway Drive, San Diego.

Vollmer, Rose House (1964)
Designed by Richard Lareau. Located at 4515 Ladera Street, Sunset Cliffs.

Watson, Maurice and Jacqueline House (1951)
Designed by Sim Bruce Richards. Located at 2744 Azalea Drive, Point Loma.

Wetherell, Mr. & Mrs. J.G. Residence (1954-55)
Designed by CJ Paderewski. Located at 8760 Alpine Avenue, La Mesa.

Wexler, Sidney & Henrietta House (1962)
Designed by Lloyd Ruocco. Located at 10088 Sierra Vista Avenue, Mt. Helix.

Youngblood, James H. Residence (1972)
Designed by Cliff May. Located at 17538 El Vuelo, Rancho Santa Fe.

Have an idea or tip?
We want to hear from you!

Contact Us